Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Final Blog Post Reflection

As this class is coming to a close and I begin to reflect back I realize that I learned some new skills to take with me to the classroom.  While I still wait for the red tape to be sifted through at the district level regarding the use of a blog or wiki I at least have developed a GAME plan for when I am finally allowed to do so.  “That is, when used as a support and resource for the communicative processes of teaching and learning, the computer can be used to increase creative thinking processes among groups and communities (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p.70).”  I now have the background knowledge to use the computer to support my teaching.  Prior to this course I did not feel comfortable with using Wiki’s. I now feel comfortable that when the district finally allows me permission to use Wiki’s that I will be able to implement them seamlessly. 
I had not even heard the term digital story until this class.  I can now see how it would benefit me to use in my PE classroom.  The students will be able to create a public service announcement warning others of the health risk of a sedentary life with poor eating habits.  They will also be able to use videos which they will create to show people exercises they can use at home.  They can also share healthy food options.  I really see this being a creative way to promote the message of being healthy.  In this day and age of technology we really have to do our part to continue to stress the importance of being healthy.  This seems like a great way to combine the two and reach more students and adults.  I think this would also allow the students to have ownership in the project and hopefully make a real impact with them as well.
Reference
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment